By Anupriya Jamuar
Vitamin C is hands down the A-list ingredient of the skincare world. Packed with powerful antioxidants, vitamin C helps to brighten up your complexion, fade dark spots and aid in keeping your skin like glass. Though the benefits of vitamin C are many and we all love to use it in serums and moisturisers, this powerful antioxidant is way more beneficial to your skin than you might think.
If you’re yet to try vitamin C, dive deeper with us into what makes it so popular (even amongst dermatologists) and exactly how you should be applying it.
Should you use a vitamin C serum?
When it comes to powerful antioxidants like vitamin C, using them in a serum consistency is always more beneficial as serums tend to be more concentrated formulations. They penetrate deeper into your skin so you can truly soak in all the benefits it brings.
So, when can you use vitamin C serum and what benefits do you get from it? If you deal with skin concerns like dullness, hyperpigmentation, dark spots and ageing, vitamin C is the ideal ingredient for you.
For acne-prone or dry skin, vitamin C serums play a crucial role in boosting the skin’s glow and fading any post-acne dark spots. In short, if you’re looking to brighten your complexion and protect your skin from environmental damage, vitamin C serum is your skincare BFF.
Benefits of vitamin C serum: Hydration
One of the many benefits of vitamin C serum is the hydration it brings to your skin. Firstly, it keeps your skin moisturised by attracting moisture from the environment and locking it into your skin.
This prevents moisture loss from the epidermis (your skin’s topmost layer) by strengthening its natural barrier. This is especially important if you have dry or dehydrated skin as it adds hydration back into your skin, making it more radiant, youthful and plump.
Shop our hydrating vitamin C serums:
Benefits of vitamin C serum: Reduces under-eye circles
If your under-eye bags look too prominent and bother you then vitamin C serum could be just what you need to brighten up your look. With its host of powerful antioxidants, it boosts circulation and improves the overall health of your skin.
Another benefit of vitamin C is that it helps to de-puff your face in case you didn’t complete your REM cycle.
Reduce your dark circles with our hand-picked vitamin C serums:
Benefits of vitamin C serum: Reduces hyperpigmentation
If your acne-prone skin sports the evidence of old pimples aka hyperpigmentation, then vitamin C is the one ingredient you should add to your skincare routine.
This is because vitamin C is a powerful tyrosinase inhibitor and helps to slow down the melanin production in your skin which causes hyperpigmentation. This helps fade dark spots and discolouration on your skin. You will also notice that with regular use, your skin looks brighter and more radiant overall.
Say goodbye to hyperpigmentation with our favourite vitamin C serums:
Benefits of vitamin C serum: powerful anti-ageing effects
Vitamin C serum can be a great addition to your skincare routine if you’re thinking about a preventative skincare routine. It reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on your skin. This is because it contains powerful antioxidants that can help to boost collagen production, which is essential for maintaining firm and smooth skin.
It also provides sun protection, which we all know plays a huge part in early signs of ageing.
Fight signs of ageing with our hand-picked vitamin C serums:
The lesser-known benefits of vitamin C serum
Vitamin C is an effective ingredient that can help you achieve healthy skin and a smooth complexion, but there are also some lesser-known benefits that make this multi-tasker even better. Take a look:
● Vitamin C serum protect your skin from pollution and other environmental stressors.
● It can also help to improve your skin's texture and tone.
● It is packed with anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce redness and irritation.
● It enhances the absorption of other active ingredients, making them more effective and improving their overall benefits for your skin.
● Finally, using vitamin C serum regularly can improve your overall skin health. This is because it strengthens your skin's natural barrier and protects it from damage caused by external factors.
How to use a vitamin C serum?
If you're new to using vitamin C serum, here is how you can incorporate it into your skincare routine:
● Start with a clean face. This will ensure that there is no dirt, oil, or makeup, making the serum penetrate your skin more effectively.
● Take a few drops of vitamin C serum on the palm of your hand.
● Warm the product in your palms and gently pat it all over your face before massaging it into your skin in upward motions.
● Wait a few minutes for the serum to absorb before applying other products. This will allow other products to be absorbed more effectively.
● Ideally use vitamin C serum in the morning. This will help to protect your skin from pollution and other environmental factors.
● Be consistent with it to see visible results.
So, from this, we can safely conclude that using vitamin C is beneficial irrespective of your skin type or concern as it has such a vast array of benefits. Now we understand the hype behind vitamin C serums. Don’t you agree?
Q. Can I use retinol with vitamin C?
- No, as both ingredients are quite potent, it is best to avoid using them together in your skincare routine to avoid any irritation. You can use the skin cycling method to rotate between them though.
Q. Can I use vitamin C with niacinamide?
- Yes, contrary to popular beliefs, you can use vitamin C with niacinamide. The two of these together compliment each other when used correctly.
Q. Should I apply vitamin C serum to wet face?
- No, it’s best to apply it on dry skin as L-ascorbic acid is quite unstable and loses its potency when applied on wet skin.